Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AdvUpdater (Updater for your games)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok guys, good news, ONE STEP BEFORE THE RELEASE
added a cool new feature into the AdvUpdater
now there is a compression feature, it will automatically compress files then upload to the server. no need to worry about your space anymore.
the compression rate is about 40~45%, wich means that you can store x2.2 more data than your storage is capable of.

here is an update log:
AdvUpdater 0.95:
- Added Support of Compression, now the base total storage you got is based on COMPRESSED size only. wich improves the storage and gives aditional space.
- Added Version of the program on the title.

Launcher: 0.95:
- Added Support of Compressed files. it downloads compressed files wich improves the download time for each file.
- Old Launcher Users; just in case people already got your launcher you compiled long time ago before this update, no worries! everything work without any problems in this new version too.

DL link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1802543/AdvUpdater/AdvUpdater0.95PR.rar

Advanced Updater for your games!
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 16:31
hey Sergey, a bit off-topic, but your web link does not work. I wanted to visit your website to check out this product more, but couldn't. You have mentioned that you have a fair number of users; how did they join?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 16:58 Edited at: 6th Nov 2012 17:19
unforchinately i dont have a website. sorry
im not html programmer and one of the reasons for that i didnt learned it yet, cuz its doesnt bother me at all.
things that i dont want to learn, cant be remembered in my head at all. lolz
thats why i dont have a website yet.
but there is always an option to team up with someone who also got much potential like me for a same website.

my main information page about that AdvUpdater is this thread >_<

Edit:
btw, 1 more update for AdvUpdater
so far, about 2 months after my last fix, people DO use it, and no bugs or issues at all.
wich im v. happy on that! the Release version will be soon on the Program Announcements thread.

also i think ill add an option for "private AdvUpdater" wich will give you a full control of your hostings too. but for that you will have to install on your pc some internet servers (FTP server, http server wich im not providing)

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 17:13
Quote: "unforchinately i dont have a website. sorry
im not html programmer and one of the reasons for that i didnt learned it yet, cuz its doesnt bother me at all.
things that i dont want to learn, cant be remembered in my head at all. lolz
thats why i dont have a website yet.
but there is always an option to team up with someone who also got much potential like me for a same website."

if you don't want to go your own way, or go with a better offer (which i'm sure if just around the corner), would you be interested in having your own space/area on my site?
it's using a CMS system, so you wouldn't need to learn all that HTML stuff, etc. you just log in and create or update sections (which are sort of like a word document), and then add these sections to your main web pages. you can see a very simple one i created for myself at http://www.geeksanon.com/store/index.html if you're interested, then i can move my product to a sub-page and have this main page as a sort of store-front that would list all products (which would only be mine and yours).

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds great. but i do have a website and host; http://streamsniffer.com/ (btw its me on the front page) and ipage.com (the hoster) got build page by mouse feature too. but i think ill refuse cuz im looking for teaming up with person who also got a small business on his own..

and new update for AdvUpdater:
once i release it, i will release x2 versions of AdvUpdater the 32 and 64 bit.
note that you wont be able to upload fies bigger than 1GB, cuz 2GB is a limit. but in 64 bit its 18EB maximum so AdvUpdater can upload files up to 9EB size.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Decided to try this tonight. My project has 200+ files and the updater is uploading them one at a time. This could take awhile.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Decided to try this tonight. My project has 200+ files and the updater is uploading them one at a time. This could take awhile"

ok good luck with it
tell me what you think when you finish will you?
its important for me to improve/change stuff in the last minut till i release it.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 18:51 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 18:53
Well, it didn't go as well as it could have. First, about 2000 of my 2700 files are less than 30kb each, and it downloaded them really slow, about as slow as all the other methods I have tried including URLdownloadtofileA.

Second, it reached 100% and just kept going. Ended up finishing around 200%

Edit: Also, it took overnight to upload them all, and the program crashed 4 times while doing so (forgot to screenshot the errors, sorry)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 19:59 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 19:59
Quote: "Well, it didn't go as well as it could have. First, about 2000 of my 2700 files are less than 30kb each, and it downloaded them really slow, about as slow as all the other methods I have tried including URLdownloadtofileA."

yeah, the registration part + uploading does takes some time. unforchinately i cant do anything to speed it up. cuz it must upload the files 1 by 1 to the server to avoid bugs and issues, so 100% of the data will be sent currectly. i personally suggesting to leave AdvUpdater all the time open with "Autoupdate Dropbox" checkbox on.

Quote: "Second, it reached 100% and just kept going. Ended up finishing around 200%"

fixed just re-create the launcher from the updater program. it should work now

btw, i enchanted your account up to HD Package. wich allows you to download in speed of x6 files in same time. so check that out too.

i also made a small twick on AdvUpdater program it self (see attachment).. so replace the old one. its 0.96 version, its not official version yet. so use it untill i release the next update..

and then again, as i said before, AdvUpdater is still on WIP thread cuz the app is not done yet, still there are lots of changes to do.

but once i release it, it will be stable

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 23:09
Hi Sergey,
I tried your updater the other day on just one of my files, and although it seemed to end up working how it should (just guessing, but I ended up with the updater which worked to download my file again after I uploaded it), it reported an error during the process (19 I think it said, but not sure).
About improvements, I had to play around a little bit to get it to work as a couple of the options for files, folders, and check boxes were not clear on what they represented. I hope when you release the full product, that you include easy to follow instructions.
One other thing that I wanted to clarify is when I first start it, it asks for my game name and password etc. but then when I click next, it asks the same thing with more options to select or fields to enter, not sure if this is how it is suppose to work, or if maybe the first screen was supposed to be related to user instead of game, but I was a bit confused on this and not sure I did it right (maybe that's what caused the error?).
Other than this, it looks to be a good handy product that I'm sure I'll find very useful in the future. cheers.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I tried your updater the other day on just one of my files, and although it seemed to end up working how it should"

thanks for report.. i glad you liked it

Quote: "it reported an error during the process (19 I think it said, but not sure)."

i named some "problem" lines of my code with numbers, so once it goes into a problem, it reports me some kind of line number.
so error 19 is translated here that it tryes to compress file that does not exist. it might be that you tryed to copy a file into the work folder and removed it right away.. so i will add a small check for if the file still exists on my next version of AdvUpdater..

Quote: "I hope when you release the full product, that you include easy to follow instructions."

there is someone who agreed to help me with video of how to use it with voice. hopefully it will help people
about the other instructions; you always can use the "Wizard Mode" to set your settings up step by step.. its pretty usefull too

and about your login thingy,
if you press REGISTER from the main menu, you will get few fields to fill, game name and password 2 times. then when u finish the register, it will lead you back to the login page, where the game name already inserted; you have only to write your password back again to login.

Quote: "Other than this, it looks to be a good handy product that I'm sure I'll find very useful in the future"

well when i started the whole project, i was designed it for MMO games only. wich is basicly the easyest way to upldate files on your games.
but then there were lots of ppl who were disagree with me on this one, cuz ppl want to use it for other different projects like Image Uploading, their apps, videos or just documentations. so i designed to think about them too

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 09:29
Quote: "so error 19 is translated here that it tryes to compress file that does not exist"

ok, that's probably fine then as I think I tried to create the updater without adding any files (or selecting the source folder properly).
I believe from your description that the work folder is used to compress the files before uploading to dropbox; can you explain how your program handles files based on the filedate when the local times may be different? i.e. if I have a file which I have changed but have given the same name while traveling to another country say that has an earlier local date/time, does your program recognise this and convert the filedate to UTC or GMT time to determine if it should be updated?

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
actually, for meter of file safety, AdvUpdater loading every file to a memory (not all files togeather, but 1 in a time while uploading), so basicly my AdvUpdater doesnt use that work dir's files for too long. i compressing the file while its inside memory, then sending it to the server. also i saving the file size and file date from work folder on my small file database i have for each account..

when you create the launcher, it creates it with your file database URL compiled into the exe.. so when someone runs the Launcher, it downloads file into memory, uncompressing it and then only saving into the disk, then appliying the file date and checking the file size to be correct.

so with all of that system, it allows you to update your work account with any new files you want, then let AdvUpdater to create new database file online automaticly, wich then Launcher connects to, to download new files.. thats basicly how the system works..

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 13:32
thanks Sergey for the description of how your program works; after reading that, it's still unclear whether it would handle file updates properly based on date if this changes as mentioned (traveling), or even daylight savings differences.
i.e. it looks like it would depend on how it stores the original files details in your database...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
well its complicated.. i cant rly explain those stuff clearer than that..
my english is not that good haha..

but basicly, once the Autoupdate Dropbox checkbox is ON, AdvUpdater checking all the time for new files.
1) if it sees a new file, it adds it into the upload list
2) if it sees an old file with same date, but different size length, it replaces the old one inside the server too.
3) if it sees an old file with same size length, but different creation date, it replaces the old one in side the server too..

so basicly there is no way for this system to fall. unless there are some small bugs that can be fixed

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "btw, i enchanted your account up to HD Package. wich allows you to download in speed of x6 files in same time. so check that out too.

i also made a small twick on AdvUpdater program it self (see attachment).. so replace the old one. its 0.96 version, its not official version yet. so use it untill i release the next update..

and then again, as i said before, AdvUpdater is still on WIP thread cuz the app is not done yet, still there are lots of changes to do."

With the x6 speed, it downloaded the main EXE file much faster, but all the really small images still took a very long time. I wanted to keep all my images separate from my EXE, but maybe tonight I will try to compile the EXE with all the images inside and try that.

Also, I do understand it is a WIP and not done, so I expected errors. Just wanted to try it out and see if I should replace my current updater program, but it looks like both mine and yours take forever with many small files.

Thanks for the quick fix earlier though!

BTW, what method does your updater use to download the files? Is it windows DLL calls?
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "With the x6 speed, it downloaded the main EXE file much faster, but all the really small images still took a very long time. I wanted to keep all my images separate from my EXE, but maybe tonight I will try to compile the EXE with all the images inside and try that."

did you tryed it with the new launcher? or you used the old one? cuz i fixed some other stuff on the new launcher too (that might help with faster download rate) (just "create launcher" out of AdvUpdater should do the trick)

Quote: "BTW, what method does your updater use to download the files? Is it windows DLL calls?"

most of my projects are stand-alone exes, so it doesnt uses any activeX or .net frame work at all.
my download system DO use compiled UrlMon method..

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 17:29 Edited at: 21st Nov 2012 17:30
1 small updater + 1 small request

im working now on x64 version of AdvUpdater, once i done, i can release the whole project

and one more request;
since i do not have a website, i was wondering if there is any "wondering programmer" just like me willing to join websites? or even join projects..

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 17:39
Quote: "since i do not have a website, i was wondering if there is any "wondering programmer" just like me willing to join websites? or even join projects.."

You may be interested in my Dev Community Project http://www.tm-subs.co.uk/

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 13:01 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2012 13:02
Quote: "You may be interested in my Dev Community Project http://www.tm-subs.co.uk/"

nope, actually nothing intresting.. sorry >_<

well good news everyone!
i just released AdvUpdater officialy.
the Program Annoucments post is Here

and just in case people still following my work progress, here is the latest update news:

[http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201709&b=5]Advanced Updater[/href] for your games!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 13:51
Err in that case can you clarify what you want in terms of join websites?
Others may be as confused as me...

Perhaps try Evolved...

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
you just gave me too much to read.. can you explain whats that website for? but in your words..

[http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201709&b=5]Advanced Updater[/href] for your games!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 14:57
Basically I am giving away free web space... But as part of packages...

So things like Wordpress for example... A website manager which you can do everything pretty much easily... And for the time being TGC users get free FTP access

There are various other tools there too which are basically web based apps...

I figured you would want a website which you could update yourself and resell your product through...

The main catch is my company name must always be visible and linked in the footer

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
ahh i see..
but if you read some previus posts over here, i already got a website, with space and domain. all im looking for is a team/person who can help me update the website..

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 15:23
Not what I read... But I see... I would have loved to help there... But I am sure someone will step up to the job if not... EmaIl me and let me know what needs updating and I will try to make time for it...

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 07:51 Edited at: 4th Feb 2013 07:56
@Sergey K

Hey, I just wonder - can you gather PC common info like OS, x86 or x64, CPU, screen resolution, etc... for statistics while updating?
I think if there is already such service, why to invent a wheel and make your own server to recieve stats (and I just can't do that).

*** Merry Chuckmas! ***
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey, I just wonder - can you gather PC common info like OS, x86 or x64, CPU, screen resolution, etc... for statistics while updating?
I think if there is already such service, why to invent a wheel and make your own server to recieve stats (and I just can't do that)."

so like, when launching EXE with params like "bit=64 OS=WinXP" ?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 02:02
Just to say, that is illegal without prior user consent, and it MUST be optional or the entire application is acting illegally, see Steam for an example...

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 09:38 Edited at: 5th Feb 2013 09:43
@Sergey K
Yeah, like if screen resolution is lower than minimum it will be waste to dowbload an app that won't launch, also it is good to know PC specs to improve GUI, like most of users have 1366x768 screen while your app is tied to 1600x900. And to tweak perfomance is good to know CPU and GPU.

@MrValentine
One notice message will be enough, also PC and screen specs are not user's personal info in any way (except like IP or MB serial).

*** Merry Chuckmas! ***

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:25:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:25:13