Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Snow Island

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 17:48 Edited at: 21st May 2011 17:17
SNOW ISLAND - WALKTHROUGH

!SPOILERS!
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2004 19:58
Wow... that trailer... well done... This is the second time i almost wanted to pay for a darkbasic game (Firewall being the first)

1. Get a new set o animations. I mean really... this guy looks like he has a major rash in his no no places.

2. try to make some smoke and fire. It takes nothing to texture a triangle or square with a round smoke immage. Set it on shosting.. and rotate some. places where this would look good is say when the copter crashes. or when something explodes... or even when you fire the gun.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2004 04:33
it downloads sooooo sloooooowwwww....

normaly i download at 150 KB/sec but it's doing 40 KB/Sec

"We make the worst games in the universe."

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 08:18
I basically turned everything off, and it still ran pretty slow. Any chance of some forced timing and lower resolutions?

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 18:53
Hi BCDP, i'll look into forced timing for beta2, for beware the moon i gave the option of 800x600 or 1024x768, but i noticed no improvement in frame rate using 800x600. Would you mind putting the specs of the pc you are using it on so i know which machines it runs slow on, for the time being, try putting it on cd if you can and take it to college/workplace or a friend's, anywhere that has a higher graphics card to play it on.

SNOW ISLAND : www.snow-island.co.uk
BEWARE THE MOON : www.bewarethemoon.com
KMS STUDIOS : www.kms-studios.cjb.com
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2004 22:32
I think the teaser trailer music is Carmina Barana - been used in loads of things. I think it was in a Warhammer game.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 08:01
Np bigbrother-
Celeron 1.3ghz
256 mb ram
Geforce 2 MX 400

Sony stole our name!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 08:14
my friend says the music is the "Two Towers" trailer music (LOTR)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm running XP SP1.
Should I update to SP2?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 13:44
I would, just because it's makes it harder for any more warez than there already are to get into your pc.

BTW Bigbrother, I'm using SP2 if that helps. When I switched off particles the snowflakes still went, can you deactivate the snowflakes? Maybe that'll help speed...

Sony stole our name!
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2004 18:59
Thanks Ilya for reporting back, that rules out the service pack for causing this error
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=1139
It seems pot luck as to whether people can get it to load, just try seeing if it loads on someone else's pc.

BCDP: hi, yeh just tested it and it worked when you start on the pier, pause game (p), select options, then turn snow off (7) and it will stop snow. My spec: 2.01GHz, 512MB Ram, Radeon 9800 256MB graphics, if you get past the white section, turn power on, open first compound door the it shud run a little faster due to close draw distance and less polys on screen.

bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 04:35
SNOW ISLAND - Newsletter

A big thank you to the game creators for featuring Snow Island.

There is also an article about it inside the newsletter which you can view here : http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_21.html

Mr Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 05:15
Hey I have not played the game yet, (downloading now)

But I watched the trailer and it was really good. I checked out the website and I think it is awesome. Very pro like.

I do have just simple suggestions for website design if you don't mind a little cretique in the area.

1 - Please make the transitions in the menu faster. You know when you press the button and the two lines cross and relaod the menu. Thats cool but it goes too slow when one is excited to look at the stuff you have up. People who are excited to check out the site don't like to wait specially if there is no reason like load time to get in the way. So speed that up when you have some time to do that.

2 - The download link. You made the text as the click area. I suggest fixing that with a rectangle for the click area. When I put my mouse over it I was Like hey how the heck can I downlaod it... and I had to move it about untile my mouse snaged a piece of the lettering. So again that is small thing but it would help lots for someone excited to have to go through the torcher when they really want to play!

(Dowload complete)
I'll be back later with my review.

Great work on the site and the marketing!

Cheers

IDIC (Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations)
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 06:12 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 06:12
Eh shoot... It worked fine until 15 seconds into the loading sequence or so, and then it quit to windows and spit out one of the dreaded CrashOn.txt

[COMMON]
PathToEXE=Cocuments and SettingsJon the GreatDesktopSnow IslandSICrashOn_09_28_04.txt
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=1114

Anybody know what it means? Aside from that there's a bug somewhere, I mean... btw, me pc specs are as follows:
2800+ 2.08 GHz Athlon XP
512 megs RAM
nVIDA GeForce 4 MX

And before you ask, I've got the latest DX drivers

Ah well... Guess I'll go drool at the trailer again...

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 06:47
@ Hakweye: Hi, i've had this prob before on a friends pc, plus Ilya has the same problem too, although this is not accross the board as it has worked on many ppl's pcs. When i first experienced the crash i posted here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=39178&b=1 but had no luck in an answer. However messing around on the pc that it didn't work on i actually got it to load, i don't kno whether it will work on yours or Ilya's but try this:

FOR THOSE EXPERIENCING CrashOn LOADING
1.Open the folder you have put the exe and Models folder in.
2.Right Click the exe and select properties
3.Click Compatibility on the top bar
4.Select Run this program in compatibity mode for:
5.Select Windows 2000
6.Apply changes
7.Double click the exe and see if it manages to load lol

If possible let me know if this works Hawkeye & Ilya, cheers

@ Mr Anderson: Thank you for your kind comments about the trailer and marketing, and also your thorough review on the flash website, its good to know people are looking at your work. I agree with your comments about the speed of the pages loading and i'll pass them onto styleworks, who created the flash site. Looking forward to your review (if it loads on u'r pc).

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 07:45
Ok, got it running... Looks very nice! I like the "Beware the Moon" style menus The intro is very nice, a little stuttery at times, but on the whole pretty good! Then I start the game, aannnnddd whenever I face the main part of the island from where you start (i.e. facing the helicopter) it slows down to about one frame per two seconds (!) Unplayable by anyone's standards (Even mine ) After 10 seconds or so of trying to get my guy moving (he never did) it froze completely. But I must say, the terrain of in the direction of the sea looks nice

pc specs are in my above post

Bring out the mercenary in you!
http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mercenaries2 Community (not yet, anyway, but coming soon! right?)
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 07:50
Hawkeye, thank goodness, the compatibility has fixed that bug lol,

Heres something i wrote earlier about the speed:
You can pause the game at any time 'p' key, and change the options during the game, try turning the snow and radar off, see if that makes a difference. Also when the game starts just rotate the soldier a full 360 degrees, with the media in the exe theres a little lag in loading the models, but if you do this they will be loaded to memory with should stop some lag.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll try it tommorow.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Crash on line 953.

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 18:38 Edited at: 30th Sep 2004 18:47
hey big bro. I got a work around for the snow spheres which i believe is plaguing people's overall performance. I did some sprites for you with alpha channels, merely doing a small 2D plane bitmap of snowflake ranging in different sizes of course as well as different textures, with a opacity map alpha channel bitmap. I did around 4-7 varied sized snowflakes that u can use instead of using 3d spheres of varied sizes. This will decrease the workload put upon memory use of the game when running, and also potentially decrease overall loading I believe. Ill send a zip later on in the day.

And secondly I have worked on another performance boost in a scalable LOD system If u wish to use it for people who dont gave "great"systems after all we all cant have blazing systems. what i am doing is doing 1-2 maybe 3 differeny polys levels which based off a choice within settings using 1 for normal LOD, 2 for LOD -1, 3 for LOD -2. Also i think the objects in general based on distance can use LOD system e.g. Barrels, Barricades, etc, as well as smart use of alpha channels, and a texture mipmap system which blends different levels of texture detail based on distance which should help with overall "cpu and memory" workload. This is from looking at commands in the manual regarding texture, filtering usage etc. Based on the comments it is extremely positive, and I think I can do alot of workarounds to not only maintain visual appeal but also maintain a level of "optimization", this could mean only good things for the future with this game once it reaches beta 2. Get to me on msn or email me regarding this matter, and if anyone reads this tell me of your views on what I have just written I would really like to know what you all think thus far. And of course any and all suggestions are welcome.
SGT.KOOLAID

ps big bro im gonna email you the list of what I am going to complete for BETA 2 as well as a revised story arc which i feel could help us further explore the overall premise of the game. lastly I worked on a new level design which i feel you will like this will also be included in the email i will be sending you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:33:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:33:40