Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / American accent...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 09:55
I have always wondered this. What do people form the UK think an American accent sounds like? Thought I could ask here due to large UKen population.

-Please don't say "weird" or something like that. Get creative if you want, I am an understanding person.

Example: My German friend says that Americans sound like they are speaking with their mouths full of potatoes.

If you would like to know, most Americans think that a British accent sounds very rounded, and proper. Most ppl think it sounds very cute. It sounds like your words blend into each other more so than ours. Well, hope that gives you an idea.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 10:07 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 10:08
Ugh, I think the American accent sounds like... Wait... I have an American Accent... Nevermind, ignore my post.

Oh why, Oh why, must the english language be so complicated! So many punctuation marks... I before e.... Except after C... Butt and but are two different things.... a pen uses ink, and if you put cil at the end, it uses lead.... Mmmfff, somebody had a bit too much time on their hands, Hmmmm?

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 10:26
Yes, English is one of the most complicated languages on Earth. But, because of the intricities of the language, it is often known as having the most poetic potential.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 10:31
There's no one "American" accent, per se, because Americans sound different across their country. Take Boston--- they plays "cahds" instead of cards. And the southern people who have, well, southern accents :-P

Canadians are also stereotyped as having the East coast "Newfie" accents. We don't *all* say "aboot"!

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 10:46 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 10:49
I 'd say french would have to be the one that's easiest to learn, I learnt english and french pretty much at the sametime(english 1st, french 1,1st) so I wouldn't exactly know.

Hey, I wonder how a canadian accent sounds(in french and english). I think americans sound like just like us(exept the south like people) And Parisian french sounds very slurred and fast.

<edit>@Jeku:
Quote: "Canadians are also stereotyped as having the East coast "Newfie" accents"
we are? I thought the sterotype was just the "eh" thing(I and I think we got that from the french and english heritage).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:08
Yeah, Americans have pretty varied accents. I mostly meant the ones that are in movies, which are generally "nuetral" American accent (central-mid-west). And yes, Americans and Canadians sound the same (except for "O" pronunciation in the Toronto-type area).

So what do Americans in movies sound like to any English people here?
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:09
Manticore, what is your first language if you learned English and French at the same time?
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:30
Take off, eh?

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:36
English, but I forget english words and use the french ones some times and vice-versa.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:53
American sounds very gruff, abrupt and round take on the language.
Sounds far more aggressive than it has to be, imo.
The same can be said about the regional english accents...

I mean Liverpudlians sounds like whiney lil children to me,
Mancunians sound like they have a perminant cold and seems to use a 22letter alphabet rather than 26letter...

and cockney londers... i swear they only have 10 letters in thier and believe if they speak faster and laugh at most things they say like it's a joke we'll understand them.
(most don't seem to realise we're laughin AT them not WITH them)

Although the Americans have a variety, it is all very much the same basic accent which to me sound quite devonshire or atleast quite rural crossed with irish.
It's alot easier to mimic most american (and canadian) accents than it is to get Scottish, Bolton or Welsh right.

This said the stereotypical english accent is a very very rare thing to actually hear.

Something that always made me laugh was Californians. They'd be like 'Oh we don't have accents, it's like we're very neutral.'
which just cracked me up because there's several accents they have across Cali, and more over theirs is a very district stereotypical american accent.
Perhaps because most TV Actors happen to have it.

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 12:38
Thank you, Raven, that was info i was looking for! Anyone else?

Now that you mention it, Americans probably could be seen as sounding aggressive. Most UKers sound very laid back, even in low-energy arguments.

And yes, that is very right. The stereotypical American accent is rare. The southeast is definetly out. The northeast is out. North-mid west is out. The west (CA,OR,WA) is out. The southwest is out. Really, only the central mid-west has what is known as the nuetral American accent. Although I live in the southeast at the present time, I am originally from Columbus, Ohio, which is pretty nuetral. I was also in theater all through my teen years and early twenties (which I am still in mind you! lol), so I have really not picked up much accent.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 12:41
@Raven BTW- Is that how it is spelled? "Liverpudlians"? Or a typo or own slag word? If that is correct, that is really interesting as I have never much thought about the populasis name there.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I can tell you now that the way Americans often make characters look or sound intellignet in movies/books is by making them british/giving them a british accent.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 13:04
@HZ- True. But also the oppisite can be said. Check out "Brick-Top" in the movie Snatch (the movie lol) by Guy Ritchie. Even if you don't check it out for Bricktop, you still need to check it out.

@Mattman- "Take off, eh?". Sorry, didn't catch you.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 13:52
I dunno where the names from from...
Londoner's are from London
Liverpudlians are from Liverpool
Mancunians are from Manchester

never really thought about why they're called that.

Quote: "Well I can tell you now that the way Americans often make characters look or sound intellignet in movies/books is by making them british/giving them a british accent"

usually when they're evil too hahaa... i mean how many films can you name with a brit playing the bad guy (with a brit accent).
i mean the most obvious of them is Star Wars, the entire sodding Empire speaks in a (posh)Middle-Class British Accent.

you expect them to say strange things like, 'well if you won't tell us where the base is we will jolly well have to blow up your home planet!'

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 14:06
Quote: "but I forget english words and use the french ones some times and vice-versa."

That is just strange...

I hated learning French in high school--- I dropped out of French after Grade 9 and had nothing more to do with it. The teachers at the time were scaring me by telling me that Canadian universities won't accept me if I don't have my Grade 11 French. Well sucks to their assmars, I still got in no problem, and no, they *don't* care.

Canadians must have accents though. I used to do telephone tech support for HP US and I'd always get asked, "Hey, are you Canadian?" hehe.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 14:14
You dropped high school french? Was it basic french? No offence but anything under french immersion is so easy it hurts. I was stuck in one of those classes, they were naming things in a picture! I mean, their not really learning anything useful, they arn't learning to speak it, so what's the point?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 14:18 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 14:19
It was regular high school french, dude. They started force-teaching us French in elementary school, so Grade 9 would have been about 8 or 9 years into it.

Anyways, I've never enjoyed French, but to each his own. I still can read a lot of it if I try hard enough, but to me it's boring (no offense all you Francophones). My sister is in the Canadian army and she's been taking French classes every day for several years--- and she quite enjoys it.

I prefer to learn a valuable language that I could actually use in my industry, like Japanese and Mandarin (which is why I studied Japanese and Mandarin in University!). Plus my fiance is Mandarin, so there's a good reason to learn it as any.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 14:24
Ok, no offence but, there's alot of french speaking gamers. I can find more french gaming sites than any other language(excluding english). Acctually I heard some québecois were complaining that all the games were in english, maybe a good marketing srategy, why am I sharing it with you guys, leave, LEAVE!!!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 16:31 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 16:34
Jeku i wouldn't fret it, i was force taught French and German in high-school for the first 3years (cause it's mandatory by the government aparently).
You then have to choose a language to take as a GCSE...
In-school i flunked every damn language course, French/Spanish/German and quite rightly I thought they sucked.

I've since learnt each of the language reading/writing through friends by just learning basics and such. I've found i not only picked them up alot quicker but i also don't mind using them.
Though to be honest my favourite language are Egyptian, Japanese and Chinese... got a friend currently teaching me Chinese and she laughs cause i find it so hard to remember things when writing it.

Quote: "Ok, no offence but, there's alot of french speaking gamers. I can find more french gaming sites than any other language(excluding english)."

Ya know it's amazing. I type into Microsoft Search and I get back thousands of UK English sites... Change the system language to Japanese and ... surprise surprise i get mostly Japanese sites for the same thing. (moron)

[edit-]
I'd suggest you do a static lookup...
34% of all gamers are American (USA) which covers English/Spanish
15% of all gamers are British (UK) which covers, well lets be honest everyone (95%ish) here speaks english.
40% of all gamers are Japanese (JP) which covers Japanese...

erm... how can the majority be french speaking?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 16:43
We don't even speak English here, we just 'grunt' our words.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:00
When you say "Egyptian" you mean Egyptian oriented Arabic, right? There is no modern, learnable Egyptian.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:02 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 17:02
Take Off, Eh.

is from SCTV (a saturday night live type comedy show) Bob and Doug McKenzie sketch was where they were these two canadian guys who said "eh" after almost every other word (Rick Moranis and that other guy, right?). "Take Off, eh" was how they said "get lost" or "screw you". They also enjoyed back-bacon and beer quite a bit.

Take off, to the great white north.
You Hoser
LOL

(ps - mattman is too young to have seen these shows when they originally aired, its going back about 20 years now)

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:03
Hmm..yeah, my sister told me before I read the rest of the thread that ppl in Liverpool are Liverpudlians. Crazy. Only thing I can figure is that you must have many puddles to make up a pool. Sorry, couldn't resist..

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:03
Depends. A lot of american accent's sound sing songey.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:06
Quote: "Liverpudlians are from Liverpool"

Nonsense!
Everyone calls them Scousers!

I have never heard anyone (over 10) refer to scousers as Liverpudlians.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:10
you only call them a Scouser if your talking in the derogitory slag, cause a Scouser is a stereotypical Liverpudlian.

ya know in the same way the Welsh are aka Sheep Shaggers

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 19:38
I like speaking to people who don't speak English as their first language. Seems like they speak slower and are thinking more about what they're talking about - and also properly listening to everyone else and they're more interested in having a discussion than giving a discussion, just seem to get a more sensible conversation. Russian is a terribly underated language, I think it sounds great, more rustic and less 'venom' than German.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 19:41 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 19:42
One thing I cannot stand is a southern accent. Or is that a sufforn accent? The "th" sound seems to dissapear.

Thing -> Find
Think -> Fink

As for american, it's seems to me quite twangy. If that is a word. It's hard to describe.

I can often do australian or american by moving my chin down so it squashs my throat slightly and then talk. Odd, but it seems to work.

IMO the English accent is neutral

One question? Anybody tried to speak and Indian accent but ended up soundlish welsh?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 21:58
Quote: "you only call them a Scouser if your talking in the derogitory slag, cause a Scouser is a stereotypical Liverpudlian"

It's true that if you say "scouser" to refer to someone from liverpool, it's usually quickly followed by the phrase "theiving bastard". You wouldn't say "Sticky-Fingered Liverpudlian" now would you?

('Sticky-Fingered' indicating a tendancy to steal)

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"Well sucks to their assmars"

lord of the flies was a good book wasn't it

"ya know in the same way the Welsh are aka Sheep Shaggers"

haha, that's what they call people in my school district, because there was ONE incident about 5 years ago.. lol

raven, aren't you american? if so, how do you know so much about british accents?

my mom was born in new jersey but raised mostly in michigan and wisconsin, and my dad was born and raised in michigan. then they got married, moved to south carolina (??) and then up to pennsylvania before i was born. people around here have a mostly neutral, although very subtle, accent. so i have pretty much no accent at all. rrgh, i hate the baltimore accent though. they place waay too much stress on their vowels. and they say "hon".

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 23:34
Mattman hates the 90's in which he grew up and hugs the 80's (yay 80's!, boo NSYNC!) It was Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, and btw CR, the first season of SCTV is out on DVD, although its very exspensive, $80!!

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 01:01
Quote: "raven, aren't you american? if so, how do you know so much about british accents?"

Nope, English by nationality.
This said I've lived in most countries for short stints. It comes from being the eldest in a pretty screwed up family who is strune across the world.

my own accent is quite weird on it's own, but it's quite clear to anyone american that I have an english accent; and just as clear to anyone english i've spent a hell of a lot of time in the state.
In total i've spent a combined 7-8years stateside.

i have a very quick adapting accent too, don't even realise it.
the more i'm around an accent the more i take it in...
with the exception of Welsh, Spanish and Australian; then my accent returns to it's original broad english. not sure why :-\

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 01:05
Quote: "I type into Microsoft Search and I get back thousands of UK English sites"
Go to Google.ca, search anygame you want, and after english, you'll find french, It's not hard.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 02:42
Quote: " Go to Google.ca, search anygame you want, and after english, you'll find french, It's not hard."

That's probably because it's Google.ca. It sucks that in Canada when we type in Google.com, it automatically places us in Google.ca --- where I'm sure many of the sites that come back are different than Google.com...

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:57
Well, anyway. French is also, really good for music. I acctually think english music sounds seamful(as in not seamless). French seems to flow better.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We don't even speak English here, we just 'grunt' our words."

You mean like "barbie" instead of "barbeque?"

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
JoshK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
California has no accent. It is the only dialect in the world that is normal.

WindowsXP Media Center Edition, Pentium 4 2.53 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, GEForce4 MX 440
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 08:39
Youre kidding right? All the surfers sound totally different

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 09:03
Quote: "California has no accent. It is the only dialect in the world that is normal."

Spoken like a true califonian

Quote: "Well, anyway. French is also, really good for music. I acctually think english music sounds seamful(as in not seamless). French seems to flow better."

Your a very, very sheltered kid. That's all I have to say really.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 09:12
yup

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"Nope, English by nationality."

ahh, i think i'm confusing you with yusaku. both of you have all those anime avatars and sig pics.. kinda blends in the mind!

"French seems to flow better."

oh really?

now the blow's been softened, since the ocean is our coffin often
time to know our laughter is your coffin ever after..

from "satin in a coffin" by modest mouse. THOSE are some smooth lyrics

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 11:22
DrakeX: I think he meant every-day conversational french, not poetic french.
I studied a bit of french when I first got to El Salvador. They tought it as a foreign language, as an alternative to english. Then I changed schools and they didn't have french as an option, so I had to study basic english for 4 years. That sucked, I spoke better english than any of my teachers! ARG! The memories! The boredom! The pain!!!
On english tests I'd make mistakes because I didn't speak spanish.

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 11:40
Gotta agree with Raven, in general (you can not say anything so broad), French music is not very well appreaciated any where else in the world, besides a few French speaking countries. Not even all French speaking countries accept French music.

And yes, Californians have a major accent. The only place in the USA that has what is known to linguists as the nuetral American accent, is the Central Mid West.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 21:48
Quote: " Gotta agree with Raven, in general (you can not say anything so broad), French music is not very well appreaciated any where else in the world, besides a few French speaking countries. Not even all French speaking countries accept French music."

Actually in popular music, that's true for all languages except English.
Most opera libretti between the 16th and the 18th century were written in Italian; music in the 19th century was often written in French. Today the English language dominates.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now!

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon...
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 00:18
Has anyone noticed that Americans and British sound almost exactly the same when they are singing? Maybe that's how the american accent came about in the first place.

Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 00:28
you know what gets me, is people in china listen to our music, I have a friend who is from hongkong, and he said that people there listen to stuff like led zepplin, do the british listen to our music? I know I listen to alot of people from the UK, like pink floyd.

Im watching you...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 00:29
Quote: "you know what gets me, is people in china listen to our music, I have a friend who is from hongkong, and he said that people there listen to stuff like led zepplin, do the british listen to our music? I know I listen to alot of people from the UK, like pink floyd."

You're annoyed becuase the British don't listen to American music?!?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 00:30
what about people who live in kentucky, they are right below me, "How y'all doin?"

Im watching you...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 00:44
Funny thing about Ohio (raised in west central Ohio in and about Piqua) being accent neutral for Americans. When my family moved to Arizona, everyone thought that I had an English accent. I think part of that is because I did not want to fall into the redneck tractor pulling vernacular that was the dominant accent of the area.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:23:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:23:17