Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Just an idea.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 09:23
Hello, I'm posting this thread just to share an idea I have in mind for several months.

For way too long I've seen a lot of people criticizing FPSC, arguing that it has, among other things, bad graphics, terrible AI and optimization. I suppose that you are getting bored by all of these unfair statements, as I do.
This is how the idea came to my mind : How about launching a community project ? Gathering as many "surviving" members as possible, and make them work together on a game project ?

For instance, we could ask several 3D artists such as EAI or Bond1 to do assets for us, without being paid (More information at the bottom of the post), each and everyone of us could also work on one or two maps, while others would only take care of scripting and optimization.

Yes, I was thinking about making a totally free project, none of us would be paid, because I thought only FPSC forum members would work on it.
As a community, we shouldn't do paid services to each others, we should help each other as much as possible, in a totally disinterested way.
We shouldn't make the game to become rich and famous, but only to show that FPSC can deliver very satisfactory results when skilled people use it.

Could it be done ?
Is anyone interested ?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 11:13
Madcow02
Count me in Model, animation and scripting is what I like. I never was good at texturing...
Do you have any idea's for a story line yet?
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
With right model and good idea, i can be a good level designer in post apo and horror game
arrojar entidad y que explote
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I like it.
I can bring new ideas to the interaction of the environment, I am working on new scripts.
It occurs to me that all interested persons to make a video showing their ideas. That would motivate much the rest.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 15:04 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2016 15:06
: )
MADC0W
Years of Service
User Offline
There's not a lot of replies but it made my day, thank you !
I can do shadermaps, some textures (grunge ones) and levels.

About the editor itself, I suggest we use the latest version of FPSC with the latest one of Black Ice.

Ncmako
Well I was thinking about making a game that would be, in fact, a compilation of levels made by various level designers. Everyone will be able to create their level the way they like it.
For instance, the first level could be a scifi-based one that you have created, with monsters, energetic weapons. While the second one could take place in a subway in which the player would fight goons with modern day weaponry.

xlghostlx
Can you post some screenies of your past work, please ?

Yeah, I've loved your work on FPSC, you are a very creative person (My YT account is called "A Creative Mess", I've already commented most of your videos over there)
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 19:23
Ncmako
Well I was thinking about making a game that would be, in fact, a compilation of levels made by various level designers. Everyone will be able to create their level the way they like it.
For instance, the first level could be a scifi-based one that you have created, with monsters, energetic weapons and such. While the second one could take place in a subway in which the player would fight goons with modern day weaponry.

xlghostlx
I'm not sure I have seen your work in the past, could you post a playable level or some screenies ?

Yeah, I've seen on Youtube that you are a really creative person indeed, you have also some pretty solid skills in level design, I think you could join the team right now !
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh A Creative Mess, its channel is very good, has some spectacular work.

This hard to find people who want to work together and distance. the reason, people are unmotivated fast.

Do you know Mirzalikhov Rinat? their finished games are very good.

This is your channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu652PDaEktKnrCwIpZFCWg
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 00:26
@ madcow

just get the ball rolling. post some screenshots. I'm sure we'll all join in where we can. I suggest being realistic and keeping it to 5 levels and don't make levels so big that the fps crawl.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 05:07 Edited at: 24th Sep 2016 05:21
Sorry about the double post but I've been able to retrieve my previous login informations.

No I don't think I've ever heard anything about him, I'm going to check his channel later in the day

seppgirty
Yeah, I just need to find a setting for the map. About the map total count, I don't think this will be a problem since I've already released a game with more than ten maps (Damage, for instance)

When more people will join, I think we should discuss about important things such which model packs to use, how many maps the final product will feature, etc...
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 14:06
Madcow
Fantastic great idea I have a lot of idea's floating in my head now.
Quote: "I think we should discuss about important things such which model packs to use, how many maps the final product "

Yes, I agree. Very important i think.
@seppgirty 5 levels sounds about right for this?

On a side note, I recall Ched80's "maptastic" scripts. Might be handy for something like this?
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/187353
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 15:33 Edited at: 24th Sep 2016 15:37
Five maps ?
It's really not much, I think that every level artist being involved in the project should do at least two maps and the best of these two will be retained to be included in the maplist.
What to you think about that ?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 16:04
Madcow02
Quote: "and the best of these two will be retained to be included in the maplist"

Yeah, ok that cuts it down a bit. My fear was getting too many levels to build properly in the final.
I really like the idea of a different genre for each level. Per your suggestion I try a sci-fi and then a "subway" theme style.
Seppgirty maybe be right though, how about short/quick immersive maps, but more levels as your suggesting?
Just tossing ideas around I'm heading out to GameStop to get some inspiration...lol
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2016 16:28 Edited at: 24th Sep 2016 16:29
Or we could do as many maps as we want, and put the best of them in the game, the others could be included as bonus content !
Yeah, short maps could be an interesting idea.
Years of Service
User Offline
How many we will be? as the genre of each map will be distributed? and how serious the theme and interaction? Particularly, I like a game where you can collect many items and search. The game not only between the eyes, but also for the way they play. With puzzles, reading and collecting.

It occurred to me that you can, in look to find weapons or carry one,
you can put together a weapon with different parts found. to make the game even more interesting.

Make a story linking the different maps created.
Example, if a futuristic map, which gather in history with a map of the Old West, is nothing but an example.

I talk about things that insurance can be made.

What do you think?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 02:05
It seems like five different levels put together would not make a game. It would just make five different levels, and we don't really need to join forces to make a few levels on our own. I like the idea of working together and would love to help, but I would rather have a consensus on a single theme, and if possible a single model pack to form a basis for those who can model to add to and enhance, bringing everything together like a real game.

That said, I would be happy to help no matter what the consensus is.

Brian.
If you could travel faster than the speed of light and you went to the moon, when you got there would you see yourself coming?
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 08:52
I don't think to understand very well, you are proposing extra gaming features, not seen (not very often) in other FPSC Games ?

xplosys
Your idea is to work on a real game instead of a map pack, that's right ?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 13:03
xplosys, so nice to see you
So are we leaning toward a single theme? I do like the idea of one model pack to make
things easier.
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 15:26 Edited at: 25th Sep 2016 15:39
Well, I suggest we should vote. I know we're not many but at least our team will be way easier to manage this way.

If you prefer a gameproject revolving around a universe and a storyline, put this smiley
On the opposite side, if you want to work on a map pack, then put this one
If you don't know what to choose, put

I vote
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 15:35
If this is just a demo game to show off the features of classic then i like the idea of different theme maps.

example.... Map 1.... a run and gun war theme. Map 2..... a fantasy hack and slash... Map 3..... Collect objects.

We would have to stick to user made models and the open source packs from git hub. Just so there are no legal issues.

But if someone has an idea for a single solid game then please present that.

Quote: " I do like the idea of one model pack to make
things easier."

That would make life easier.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 17:07
Yes, my preference would be to work on a game. The thoery behind using a single pack is that there are modelers here and we can expand the pack as needed, keeping all the parts in similar style. Using multiple packs normally ends up looking bad because of the different modeling and texturing styles.

Again, I'll be happy to go with the crowd.
If you could travel faster than the speed of light and you went to the moon, when you got there would you see yourself coming?
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 18:32 Edited at: 25th Sep 2016 18:32
I've changed my vote, now I want to work on a story-driven project

xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys, im without internet this mounth, il post it asap
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 20:38 Edited at: 25th Sep 2016 20:42
My vote =
Depending on the theme, can we stick to one model pack? I would like to if possible.

I just realized looking at my "vote" icon, looks like we're going with a "ghost " theme...lol
xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
My vote is an horror theme / zombie / survival / post apo / can ghost too
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2016 21:44 Edited at: 25th Sep 2016 21:45
What about submitting an idea ?
The one with the most votes will be kept.

Here's mine

Most of the background has been inspired by the "Jason Bourne" movies.

The story is set in the near future (year 2020-25), the player takes the role of a female french assassin/spy living in Tomsk, Russia and working as a waitress in a Pizza Shed (let's avoid legal issues, would ya ? ) restaurant. While she was on a assignment in a large Russian corporation's headquarters. The government for which she was working for has been replaced by a new one. The latter quickly begun to proceed to a clean sweep of anything that could be compromising to it. She was forced to go into hiding, mostly by living as a "normal" individual by renting a shabby appartment too small for her and serving her workplace's tactless customers. Eventually she will be found by hitmen sent by the government. Once she got rid of them, she will become Russia's public enemy No. 1 and will start to work for a local mobster who in exchange could give her more information about what's happening in her country.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 01:27 Edited at: 26th Sep 2016 02:42
@Madcow02

This is your post and idea so it's up to you. How about creating a template for ideas that you can edit to your initial post. As those of us who wish to participate provide our concepts, you can add them to your initial post for all to see and when we have enough, we can come to some agreement.

Something like....

NAME: xplosys

THEME: Religious Horror

CONCEPT: Your name is John Carlone (Dirty John) and you are a long time member of the 3rd precinct Zombie Squad. You're famous in and out the force for doing the nasty jobs that no one else wants. One day in the heat of a particularly bad gunfight, you kill a child. Weeks later, suffering from deep depression, you put a bullet in your head. Now sentenced to hell for the live you took, you have only one chance to redeem yourself. You have to make a deal with the devil. There are 5 kingdoms between heaven and hell. Fight your way down the 5, progressively difficult kingdoms below earth. If you make it to hell, you can return to the earth and your life. If you don't make it, you're much closer to where you will spend eternity.

MODEL PACK: Definitely #70 (Hellbound Demons), maybe #22 (Freaks, Abominations and Gore). Not sure about the levels, perhaps #48 (Post-Apocalyptic), #56 (War & Aftermath), #59 (Cemetery) and similar. They would not actually be underground levels, but more like strange, ruined kingdoms, each worse than the last.

STRENGTHS: Story, modeling (static object), texturing, game-related apps

Again, just an idea. Throw it out or change it to suit. Still, I think we need some way to track peoples ideas.

Do we have a chat room anymore?
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Years of Service
User Offline
My English is very bad, make a facebook group? and we organize out there
Years of Service
User Offline
then we will be posting all the progress forum for all who wish to participate.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 02:13
I would wait until we are organized and have something to show, but yes, I think a facebook page would give the game instant publicity and interest.
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 05:12
XPlosys, I love your idea, it reminds me Painkiller and/or Doom ! I'm in !
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 09:44
I like xplosys idea, even if five kingdoms smells like a gameguru idea to Me...

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 16:58
I'm in! Anything with Painkiller or Doom is
is tops with me. Terrific idea xplosys
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 17:56
I don't know anything about that, but I was thinking about opening a GitHub repository containing builds of the game and a weekly-updated changelog about maps and scripts (those files would be downloadable on GitHub)
And a Google Drive, which could be used as a repository for downloading and uploading various resources (such as textures and models).

Do you think that put a chat online could be useful ?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 19:07
Quote: "five kingdoms smells like a gameguru idea"

Initially the idea was 13 kingdoms, but it was suggested that we make about 5 levels (if that's what you mean).
Quote: "Do you think that put a chat online could be useful ?"

Once we get going I think a chat could be faster and easier, and the GitHub repository sounds great.
What will be most exciting to me is to see what some of you can do with interaction and scripting.
Characters. You build them a world and what do they do? They moonwalk, get stuck in the walls and fall through the floors!
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 19:13 Edited at: 26th Sep 2016 19:23
I don't know, five levels doesn't seems to be very much ?
How long would be a single level in terms of playtime ?
Years of Service
User Offline
You can make a game together, with same textures, hud same, same interaction, same models, same segments. That would seem to me better to do each 5 separate maps and then see which add a map package. Doing among all the same game abarcariamos many more ideas together.
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 20:40
I have an idea regarding artistic direction : each of us could bring to the project his/her own vision of Hell, what do you think of it ?
For instance, the first level of the game could represent how Xplosys envisions Hell, while the second map would come from the mind of another fellow.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2016 21:55
@Madcow2
Quote: " opening a GitHub repository"
I think that would be very useful.
Quote: "Do you think that put a chat online could be useful ?"
Yes!
We may live in different time zones, we could at least leave postings
and read up on progress?
Quote: "each of us could bring to the project his/her own vision of Hell"

Yes, now that's different.

I'm still not sure how many levels to make. I'm going to start sketching out a
rough story line tonight for mine and see where it leads....
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 14:44
"Initially the idea was 13 kingdoms, but it was suggested that we make about 5 levels (if that's what you mean)."

No, what i mean was that FPSC is an indoor engine, with just flat floors and walls. But make a segment pack, with tunnels and rocks, and use alot of fire FX. It courld be cool with flying little devils! And You really shourld use a better fire decal than the "standard" one...
xlghostlx
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah the standard decal suck, i think is better simulate a flame with a 3d model and, a good shader. Luke water in MP 38 i think is the best way to have more realistic fire effect
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 19:04 Edited at: 27th Sep 2016 19:50
Quote: "But make a segment pack, with tunnels and rocks, and use alot of fire FX."

Ah... I see. You're thinking of the old biblical hell, a lake of fire and people screaming and wailing. Everyone has a different view of hell and John may eventually arrive at that old, biblical one.

One of John's greatest fears was that someone would find out about his daughter. As hard as he tried, and it was so very difficult to stay away from her, he feared that someone would find out and use her against him. In fact, in his business, he knew it was inevitable. In the first kingdom, or level of hell, his enemy's do find out about her, and he must kill them all before they can find her. The kingdom in which this takes place is earth-like, but strangely abandoned and destroyed. As John progresses to each level, his greatest fears are explored in deeper and darker kingdoms.

Or it could be something completely different ...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 19:18
What kind of weapons are You going to use, in this magic story?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2016 19:34
If what I've described were to be the story, I imagine that it would be weapons of the period or modern. I think this story could work as well in the early 1900's of London as it could in 2035 in America, or anywhere else that has a similar type of law enforcement. That's not to say that John (if that's really his name) has to be a cop. I'm just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks.
Years of Service
User Offline
and if the character makes weapons with different pieces. improvised weapons?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 00:05
xlghostlx
Quote: " the standard decal suck"

Yeah, there are not the best. I do have Particle Creator and it does make some pretty good ones.

xplosys This character "john" & the story line, is this from an actual series of books?
Is this something I can read up on?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 00:35 Edited at: 28th Sep 2016 00:46
Quote: "is this from an actual series of books?"

Not until I write it. LOL
It's another story in my crazy head that I keep threatening to put down on paper but never get around to it.

Quote: "and if the character makes weapons with different pieces. improvised weapons?"

Love it. That's the kind of improv that makes games.

John may also discover that after killing many of these lower demons, he begins to absorb their power; something the devil himself didn't count on.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 06:47
"I think this story could work as well in the early 1900's of London as it could in 2035 in America"

Wait a minute, How can it be London and America when it just was HELL and the five kingdoms???
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 12:43
You're still thinking of hell as a place. Think of it as a state of mind or situation. If my x were to move back in with me... that would be hell.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 00:40
Quote: "If my x were to move back in with me... that would be hell"

LMAO...wow Ok , now I have something to work with.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:06:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:06:07