Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] E3 Friday

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 22:00
Or BEST PUT, "Bacon up that sausage, boy!"

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 23:17
Raven: Why does your PC always come down with viruses? could it just be that your PC opened the Pandoras Box of the interent or somthing mythical like that?

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: Magic the Gathering Fifth Dawn Prearealese
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 23:33
This is getting funny, do you guys have nothing better to do than post in this thread, like making your own games to show off? If you think he's not going to post anything, wtf are you constantly coming back to ask him about it? Isn't that a tiny bit of a contradiction?

Its not a bug, its a feature!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 23:34
Raven--- even if you unload some awesome eye candy and surprise us all as being the John Carmack of DBPro, you have to admit, from our point of view, that it seemed as if you were 1-2 days from showing something, albeit a little crude. Come on, dude, everyone makes mistakes, own up...

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 23:35
They just want him to prove them wrong.

----

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 23:43
Well, seeing as Raven did say that he'll show them in his own time, asking for screenshots will not get him to show it. And if you're so adamant on that he's not going to show any, why not retain your dignity and browse another part of the forum or maybe even do a bit of coding. Assuming they're able.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:06
Quote: " This is getting funny, do you guys have nothing better to do than post in this thread, like making your own games to show off? If you think he's not going to post anything, wtf are you constantly coming back to ask him about it? Isn't that a tiny bit of a contradiction? "

Your right, it is funny. It's hilarious watching Raven talk big, only to be caught lacking yet again. In the some 4 or 5 years i've been around the DB community. Raven has never yet backed any of his claims. This is yet another prime example.

If it is unacceptable behavior for newbie's to misrepresent themselves, nobody should tolerate blatant misrepresentations from apparent senior members either.

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:19
Quote: "If it is unacceptable behavior for newbie's to misrepresent themselves, nobody should tolerate blatant misrepresentations from apparent senior members either."

Touche!

Quote: "And if you're so adamant on that he's not going to show any, why not retain your dignity and browse another part of the forum or maybe even do a bit of coding. Assuming they're able."

Retain my dignity? I don't think I'm losing dignity trying to challenge a claim. Some of you need some fresh air.

And no, I can't code because I'm at work. It's also lunch here, so I'm browing the forums. Even if I was at home, I'm waiting for my employer to give me permission to work on my own game as it's currently in hiatus.

It's kind of immature to just tell us to sop wasting time here when we *should* be coding. I can't stand that uppity attitude, man.

I'm giving Raven the benefit of the doubt. I didn't say he has nothing. I just want to remind him to look at it from our point of view when he sees all the mad people on this thread :p

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:19
Uwdesign, most people just ignore the newbie and tell them to go away, instead of constantly asking them for screenshots etc. Wouldnt it be so much easier to ignore Raven in the same way then? But for some reason, some people here feel that they have the right to flame Raven every single thing he says, even though they haven't ever achieved anything themselves.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:33 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 00:34
Quote: "But for some reason, some people here feel that they have the right to flame Raven every single thing he says, even though they haven't ever achieved anything themselves."

I agree that some people flame Raven for everything he says. However, this is not about Nvidia vs. ATI, or Raven owning a supercomputer. This is about screenies from a game that he said he would upload three weeks ago. Sure, some of the same guys are here flaming him because they enjoy when he gets frustrated, but some of us are also sincerely disappointed when someone doesn't follow through. It's not rocket science.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:39
Wow, the first canadian to make sense.

----

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:40
Yes, and I have nothing against the people who are genuinely wiating for the screenshots. Personally, I still think Raven would hardly have made all this if he didn't have anything to show, and he did actually show us some shots in the irc channel.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:42
Quote: "Uwdesign, most people just ignore the newbie and tell them to go away, instead of constantly asking them for screenshots etc. Wouldnt it be so much easier to ignore Raven in the same way then?"

By that analogy: to ignore him and to tell him to go away.

Quote: "But for some reason, some people here feel that they have the right to flame Raven every single thing he says, even though they haven't ever achieved anything themselves."

To quote Kevin:
"In the some 4 or 5 years i've been around the DB community. Raven has never yet backed any of his claims."
I think that makes the difference.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:47
Quote: "even though they haven't ever achieved anything themselves."

What?
Who hasn't achieved anything?
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 01:02
Mouse hasn't

Heh jk mouse, I love you! Gimme kisses

I don't have room to talk though, only thing i've accomplished publically is Martian Idol.. and it was total crap. I think Raven's just like the rest of us and likes to work on things for himself. He decides to go public, but isn't ready. And now, 3 weeks later everyone has just added to the pressure on him for having something worthy of everyone's time and of course he doesn't want it to SUCK and get totally SLAMMED for SUCKING.

But that's just my diagnosis.

----

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 01:04
Kenataree isn't well aquainted enough with Raven to be as frustrated with him as most of the oldbies are I think . UWdesign and empty's words sum up my point of view completely.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 01:08
There is a difference between saying you are ahead of schedule and saying you are in the process of uploading screenshots when you actually have nothing worth showing.

I think everyone would lay of your back, Raven, if you said honestly exactly what you have in this project so far.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 01:21
Mouse, believe me, I know Raven better than most people here. He helped me out a lot with my earlier projects, and I think he deserves a lot more credit than most people give him.

Chris, I believe I have seen something you made, and so you don't apply to not having achieved anything.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 01:51
Touchy nah, Just enjoying watching history repeat itself.

Quote: " Raven Said Earlier This Thread: After working with the X-Box all day i wanna just relax to be honest, so once the websites majors are done i'm gonna chill and probably get and early night.
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=31548&b=2&p=2
"

So, does anybody really believe that ?. But It's a good example of the kind of recycled misrepresentation I'm referring.

It wasn't that long ago he was claiming to have worked upon c&c generals. Which, surprise surprise includes no mention of him. To which he stated, 'oh, in professional circles he uses his other name'. Or something to that effect.

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 02:07 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 02:20
... and don't forget the shader examples that he wrote for nVidia's SDK.

Raven, 21st May 2003 03:31
Quote: "well that would be interesting saying i don't have much experience considering i'm the one who is developing the majority of nVidia's Shader demos right now [...] i've been part of the Cg development since its early stages march last year [...]"

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 04:36
Quote: "i'm the one who is developing the majority of nVidia's Shader demos right now"

good grief, I never knew he'd said that... gee, I wonder why not one of the nVidia shader demos are made by him?

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:15 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 08:37
Had to test new Signature Image... sorry

[edit]
gasp...didn't work... everyone just copy/paste the link into the address bar...lol

[edit]
testing again...
and again
work...
close...

oh...forgot the 20 after the %

Programming isn’t an addiction, its more of a mental and social dependancy.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:16 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 08:17
Well where's the image?
Perhaps you'd like to try

bah, get rid of the space

----

GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:40 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 08:53
Evil...Why wont it work...well...thanks anyways Jimmy...

hmmm...

well... here is the image anyways...
[img]http://www.pix8.net/files/kit banner.jpg[/img]

ok...i renamed and reuploaded the image

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:49 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 08:49
No, you have to get rid of the space in the filename, the one on the actual server. Rename the actual file.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:55
Thanks Exeat...
hmmm... it's a little hard to se though...lol

sorry for the wasted forum space...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 13:38 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 13:39
@Gamekit......Don't use a live topic for a sig test, and if you do, you could still stay on topic anyway.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 13:39
Raven I don't like what you did in this post
But I still regard you as a cool person.

I gots to go.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 14:31 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 14:32
There was a time when Raven would post more screenshots than anyone, and I've seen a couple of his older DBC demos - so I'm not convinced that he's got nothing to show.

My thoery...

Raven get's people all fired up - then starts to twitch when it comes to showing screenshots because he's concearned that people will simply say 'Is that it?'. In truth I reckon he's right to worry about that, because people will expect more regardless of what's been done - but the simple fact is that he's put himself in that position. IMHO Raven needs to take things far less seriously, and it would be nice if people could relax the attitudes a bit in his threads, even if he does flip-flop.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 14:36
Re: Raven's game...

It does exist.

It is running at the moment using a level that belongs to somebody else who doesn't want it used in public - Raven's currently modelling a level that *can* be publically viewable.

I'm going to sent the engine code once this is done to see if I can model a new Mercenaries around it :p

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 16:37
Quote: "but some of us are also sincerely disappointed when someone doesn't follow through."

I'm always very relieved when I don't follow through.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 16:49
If that's so, David T, it's pretty petty of him not to say so. He should stop making up excuses.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 01:48
Quote: "and he did actually show us some shots in the irc channel."

Hmmm well I should hang out there more often then :p

Quote: "only thing i've accomplished publically is Martian Idol.. and it was total crap."

No way! I loved that game! It was hilarious! I love games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Hey guys, let's just keep this on topic: the E3 thread. Let's not bring up Raven's past because that's what all his threads turn out to be. Someone will say something about what he claimed, then someone else, etc. and then it just turns into a flame war. Civil!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 09:36
Jeku - what's with the 10/27/04 date on your new sig pic? that's some serious planning ahead

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 10:21
Quote: " Jeku - what's with the 10/27/04 date on your new sig pic? that's some serious planning ahead"

Hey Walaber - I was struggling to put a date down. Basically the single player mode is complete, and 2-player on the same keyboard just needs a few tweaks. However, my current employer still hasn't gotten back to me on whether I can finish this game and release it while employed. My contract ends in August, then I'm getting married. I also start my last semester of school in September. I figured my birthday would be a great time to release!

If my employer gives me permission, then I'll release it earlier...

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 10:56 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2004 10:58
Quote: "Personally, I still think Raven would hardly have made all this if he didn't have anything to show.."

Quote: " Mouse, believe me, I know Raven better than most people here."

Something about those to quotes conflict

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As kevin said, history is repeating itself.

Buy it
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 17:29
Quote: "If that's so, David T, it's pretty petty of him not to say so."

Well he did say that he was modelling a level for it didnt he? If you would just stop complaining and actually read his posts you might have noticed.
And Raven has also been having problems with his PC lately, and still is, so stop complaining for a change.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 17:38
Quote: "Well he did say that he was modelling a level for it didnt he? If you would just stop complaining and actually read his posts you might have noticed."

Oh good grief Kent. He said he was done with it originally. He never mentioned this 'original' level and he never said why he had to switch. He has, on the other hand, constantly missed release dates and made up a load of ridiculous crash and virus stories as excuses.

How very Raven.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 10:31
Ah! This is priceless!

I haven't posted on this friggin forum in half a year, and you're all right where we left off!

Raven is a douche bag! How many years of going over this do you guys need?!

I was just curious -- where the hell is his en-Phinuhtee console?!

And is he still tossing libels at the poor slobs at nVidia while draining on their good name?!

Jeemus H. Cripes!

Raven should already be partitioned off as an Internet Priceless Treasure, like Derek Smart or John Titor or Daryl Shawn Kabatoff.

Raven! Show us your time machine designs. Give us some numerology!

Maybe someone can sell Raven a P-P-P-Powerbook!

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 10:38
Oh, no. I got a virus.

Why haven't the folks at nVidia fired you, Raven?! If virii are raping your 'puter ever 3 minutes, surely 98% of their intellectual property should be sitting on P2P servers!

Surely, some hacker -- not a douche bag sissy smack-talker like Raven -- would have eventually spied out his HD and noticed some intriguing pre-release code from a major manufacturer.

I was hoping when they busted that kid for the whole Sasser thing that it was Raven . . . Certainly douche baggie enough, eh?

Raven: admit it. You're a schmuck who build himself up because your life choices are chronic jerking off, hawking what HTML you know to the three people dumb enough to consider it a skill, confronting your fear of death thru pills (which doubtlessly you'd douche up, also), or THIS, jumping in front of a bunch of noobs and tossing your press-clipping knowledge of nVidia shaders at people!

Oooo . . . I'm Rayfin. Look at my enPhinuhtee console, and my work on 128-bit widget wizbangs for enFeedeeyah.

Raven = Douche.

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 10:51
Well this thread is well upon the way of being locked... even though by all means it shoulda been locked and hurled into the virtual trashcan of cyberspace a week ago.

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: Magic the Gathering Fifth Dawn Prearealese
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 11:03
It has been now, although at least last week there were so many personal attacks.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:30:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:30:58